The Dance Test
There are a few "dance tests" out there on the Internet and while they're
pretty good, they leave out certain things that are an essential part of
every swing dancer's life.
For every question you can truthfully answer "yes", add 1 point.
- You own at least one pair of dance shoes.
- You own at least one pair of "black & whites"; you will know if you
have something that is close. Extra credit: add a point for every
additional pair that you own.
- You carry your dance shoes with you and change into them at a dance.
- You have never worn your main dance shoes outside a dance hall.
- You bring an extra shirt to a dance for changing out of sweaty shirts.
Add a point for extra additional shirt that you normally bring
to a dance.
- You bring a towel to a dance for wiping off sweat.
- You bring more than one towel.
- You've driven more than two hours to a swing dance.
- You've driven home the same night.
- You've hit more than one swing dance on the same night to make sure
you don't miss any.
- You have moved to be close to the dance venues that you frequent.
- "Must have dance floor" was a primary requirement when looking for a
place to live.
- You actually bought a home with dance space.
- You had a house built with dance space (wood floor, mirrors on the
walls, no obstructions from the walls).
- You've danced to a whole song in 6-count swing.
- You've danced to a whole song in 8-count swing.
- You know West Coast Swing
- You know Jive
- You like Swing and Lindy better.
- You like live music better than recorded music.
- You like to "mess around".
- You know who Frankie Manning is.
- You've met Frankie Manning.
- You've danced with Frankie Manning.
- You know who Norma Miller is.
- You know who Charlie Mead is.
- You personally know at least 5 dance teachers.
- You personally know dance teachers in at least 5 states.
- People in other states have asked visiting dancers if they know you.
- You've swing danced in more than one state.
Add a point for every state above 5 states.
- You have a personal page on the web for swing dancing.
- You run a swing dancing website read by local dancers.
- You run a swing dancing website read by national dancers.
- You've done a "dance jam".
- You've been asked to do a dance demo.
- You've performed with a social dance team.
- You've swing danced with members of the same sex.
- You've danced "The Shim Sham Shimmy".
- You can do the "Shimmy".