The Perfect Dance Partner
Dance heaven. That's a destination that most of us are trying to find.
That perfect partner for that perfect dance. WE all have ideas about the
kind of partner that makes the dance perfect. We think that we might
have those qualities that make us desirable as dance partners. Do we really
know for sure? Some readers have asked that question because they wanted
to do what they could to improve their chances of getting themselves placed
at the top of someone's dance card. Of course, I made them also tell me
what they didn't want.
The guys want...
- "Acknowledgement from the partner"
"One particular 'peeve' is being acknowledged by your partner.
I especially appreciate finding/dancing with a partner who dances with
me as opposed to the follower/leader who uses his leader/follower as
a prop for her/his own showboating. A little eye contact goes a long
way towards this, too."
It's nice to know that if I make a mistake, my dance partner will
back me up and cover my mistake. If we lose contact, my partner will
continue dancing as if we were still connected and will eventually
find my hand without my moving out of position or stopping.
- "Someone who dances on their own weight."
The women want...
- "Someone who wants to dance with me and seems to be enjoying himself,
even if I make mistakes." (2)
- "Someone who doesn't dance too high above my level"
- "Someone who doesn't dance under my level."
- "Someone who dances to the beat."
"An idea partner knokws where the beat is" (extremely important)
- "Someone who doesn't jerk me around with a hard lead or pump my arms
up and down."
- "Someone who is aware of the other dancers around us and keeps me
away from people who are out of control and dangerous."
- "Someone who will warn me before we get on the dance floor if he
just learned how to do the intro lesson and really doesn't know how to
- "An ideal partner SMILES!!"
- "...makes eye contact more than once in a while."
- "A firm, clear, decisive lead."
- "personal style"
- "connects with the music and dances to it (breaks, etc.)"
The guys don't want...
- "Spagetti arms"
- "Someone who pulls me off my feet"
The women don't want...
- "Someone goes off and on the beat."
- "A stranger who tries to do sexy moves, like pulling you in very
close, getting very close to your face, and gazing at you."
Feedback on this article should be directed to Benson Wong at
firstname.lastname@example.org, (617) 625-6120.
Copyright © Benson Wong
1999. All rights reserved
by the author. This article are intended for the reading pleasure
of the DanceNet On The Web readers. Duplication or use in any other
medium, including but not limited to print publication, another web site, or
downloading to a
storage medium on CD, floppy disk, hard drive, zip drive, or tape, without
the written permission of the author is prohibited.
Back to -->
[ DanceNet Main Page ]
[ DanceNet Features and Articles Page ]